Wednesday, January 22, 2014

How do you see God?

"How do you see God?" 
Wesley's question came as a surprise. I'd never been asked that before. Thinking about the answer put a smile on my face and forced me to self examine something I forgot was there.
After thinking about it, I finally had my answer. I see God first as a Father. I had a vision in my head of a little girl sitting on a bed in her room. She was crying and frustrated. She's crying because she'd done something wrong, and gotten disciplined for it. But she didn't understand why she had gotten in trouble.
So as the frustrations washed over her face, her loving father sat next to his emotional daughter and calmed her troubles. He explained what she had done and reassured her of his love and comfort.
I see God as a comforter, a best friend, the greatest father that ever lived.

When I returned the question to Wesley, he told me about times in his life where God made himself known.
"I felt free. I didn't know what from, I just felt free."
The true freedom Jesus gives is unknown to most christians. The freedom from sin, the freedom from caring about what others think, the freedom to live radically for the only thing that matters, the freedom to dance, run, jump and yell before the throne of God, the freedom that comes with knowing your purpose, and the freedom from strongholds in your life.
Jesus came to give us an abundant life. Jesus came and died just so we can be with him. Jesus wants us to experience Heaven on earth. The kingdom of heaven is near, so near that God wants us to be living in it daily.

Experience Freedom.
Experience your Father.

Wesley Butler and I (his name is best said with British accent).

No comments:

Post a Comment